Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tenth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Cycle C, Year I)

June 9, 2013

TENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME - GREEN

First Reading: 1Kgs. 17:17-24

A reading from the Book of Kings

Now it happened that, after these things, the son of the woman who was the mother of the family became ill. And the sickness was very powerful, so that no breath remained in him. Therefore, she said to Elijah: "What is there between you and me, O man of God? Have you entered to me, so that my iniquities would be remembered, and so that you would put death to my son?" And Elijah said to her, "Give your son to me." And he took him from her bosom, and he carried him to an upper room where he himself was staying. And he placed him on his own bed. And he cried out to the Lord and he said, "O Lord, my God, have you even afflicted the widow by whom I am, in a sense, sustained, so that you would put to death her son?" and he stretched himself out beside the boy three times. And he cried out to the Lord and said, "O  Lord, my God, let the soul of this boy, I beg you, return to his body." And the Lord heeded the voice of Elijah. And the soul of the boy returned to him, and he revived. And Elijah took the boy, and he brought him down from the upper room to the lower part of the house. And he gave him to his mother. And he said to her, "See, you son lives." And the woman said to Elijah, "By this, I now realize that you are a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in your mouth is true."

The Word of the Lord.

Psalm Response: Ps. 30:2, 4, 5-6, 11, 12, 13


R. (2a) I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.

V. I will extol you, O LORD, for you drew me clear
     and did not let my enemies rejoice over me.
     O LORD, you brought me up from the nether world;
     you preserved me from among those going down into the pit. (R)

V. Sing praise to the LORD, you his faithful ones,
     and give thanks to his holy name.
     For his anger lasts but a moment;
     a lifetime, his good will.
     At nightfall, weeping enters in,
     but with the dawn, rejoicing. (R)

V. Hear, O LORD, and have pity on me;
     O LORD, be my helper.
     You changed my mourning into dancing;
     O LORD, my God, forever will I give you thanks. (R)

Second Reading: Gal. 1:11-19 

A Reading from the Letter of St. Paul to the Galatians.

For I would have you understand, brothers and sisters, that the Gospel which has been preached by me is not according to man. And I did not receive it from man, nor did I learn it, except through the revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former behavior within Judaism: that, beyond measure, I persecuted the Church of God and fought against Her. And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my equals among my own kind, having proven to be more abundant in zeal toward the tradition of my fathers. But, when it pleased him who, from my mothers womb, had set me apart, and who has called me by his grace, to reveal his Son within me, so that I might evangelize him among the Gentiles, I did not seek the consent of flesh and blood. Neither did I go to Jerusalem, to those who were Apostles before me. Instead, I went into Arabia, and next I returned to Damascus. And then, after three years, I went to Jerusalem to see Peter; and I stayed with him for fifteen days. But I saw none of the other Apostles, except James, the brother of the Lord.

The Word of the Lord.

Gospel: Lk. 7:11-17

The Gospel of the Lord according to St. Luke.

Jesus went to a city called Nain and his disciples, and an abundant crowd, went with him. Then, when he had drawn near to the gate of the city, behold, a deceased person was being carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the city was with her. And when the Lord had seen her, being moved by mercy over her, he said to her, "Do not weep." And he drew near the coffin and touched the coffin. Then those who carried it stood still. And he said, "Young man, I say to you, arise." And the dead youth sat up and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother. Then fear fell over all of them. And they magnified God, saying: "For a great prophet has risen up among us, and, For God has visited his people." And this word about him went out to all of Judea and to the entire surrounding region.

The Gospel of the Lord


FEATURED SONG FOR  THE DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment