Monday, June 3, 2013

Sacred Heart of Jesus (Cycle C, Year I)

June 7, 2013

SOLEMNITY OF THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS - WHITE

First Reading: Ez. 34: 11-16

A reading from the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel


For thus says the Lord God:
"Behold, I myself will seek my sheep, and I myself will visit them. Just as a shepherd visits his flock, in the day when he will be in the midst of his sheep that were scattered, so will I visit my sheep. And I will deliver them from all the places to which they had been scattered in the day of gloom and darkness. And I will lead them away from the peoples, and I will gather them from the lands, and I will bring them into their own land. And I will pasture them into their own land. And I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the settlements of the land. I will feed them in very fertile pastures, and their pastures will be on the lofty mountains of Israel. I will feed my sheep, and I will cause them to lie down," says the Lord God.

"I will  seek what had been lost. And I will lead back again what had been cast aside. And I will bind up what had been broken. And I will strengthen what had been infirm. And I will preserve what was fat and strong. And I will feed them on judgment."

The Word of the Lord.


Psalm Response: Ps. 23:1-3A, 3B-4, 5, 6


 R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

V. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
     In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
     beside restful waters he leads me;
     he refreshes my soul. (R)

V. He guides me in right paths
     for his name's sake.
     Even though I walk in the dark valley
     I fear no evil; for you are at my side
     with your rod and your staff
     that give me courage. (R)

V. You spread the table before me
     in the sight of my foes;
     you anoint my head with oil;
     my cup overflows. (R)

V. Only goodness and kindness follow me
     all the days of my life;
     and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
     for years to come. (R)



Second Reading: Rom. 5:5B-11

A reading from the Letter of St. Paul to the Romans.

Brothers and sisters:
The love of God is poured forth in our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. Yet why did Christ, while we were still infirm, at the proper time, suffer death for the impious? Now someone might barely be willing to die for the sake of justice, for example, perhaps someone might dare to die for the sake of a good man. but God demonstrates his love for us in that, while we were yet sinners, at the proper time, Christ died for us. Therefore, having been justified now by his blood, all the more so shall we be saved from wrath through him. For if we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, while we were still enemies, all the more so, having been reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. And not only that, but we also glory in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

The Word of the Lord.

Gospel: Lk. 15:3-7

The Gospel of the Lord according to St. Luke.

Jesus addressed this parable to the Pharisees and the Scribes:

"What man among you, who has one-hundred sheep, and if he will have lost one of them, would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the one whom he had lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he places it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And returning home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them: 'Congratulate me! For I have found my sheep, which had been lost.' I say to you, that there will be so much more joy in heaven over one sinner repenting, than over the ninety-nine just, who do not need to repent."

The Gospel of the Lord.


PRAYER TO THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS

 Divine Jesus, you have said, "Ask and you shall receive; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it will be opened unto you," behold be kneeling at your feet, filled with a lively faith and confidence in the promises dictated by your Sacred Heart and pronounced by your adorable lips. I come to ask this favor: (Here silently mention your petitions.)

To whom can I turn if not to you whose Heart is the source of all graces and merits? Where should I seek if not in the treasure which contains all the riches of your kindness and mercy? Where should I knock if not at the door through which God gives himself to us and through which we go to God? I have recourse to you, Heart of Jesus. In you I find consolation when afflicted, protection when persecuted, strength when burdened with trials, and light in doubt and darkness.

Dear Jesus, I firmly believe that you can grant me the grace I  implore, even though it should require a miracle. You have only to will it, and my prayer will be granted. I admit that I am most unworthy of your favors, but this is not a reason for me to be discouraged. You are the god of mercy and you will not refuse contrite heart. Cast upon me a look of mercy, I beg of you, and your kind Heart will find in my miseries and weaknesses a reason for granting my prayers.

O Sacred Heart, whatever may be your decision with regard to my request, I will never stop adoring, loving, praising, and serving you. My Jesus, be pleased to accept this my act of perfect resignation to the decrees of your adorable Heart which I sincerely desire may be fulfilled by me and by all your creatures forever.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, I know that there is but one thing impossible to you: to be without pity for those who are suffering or in distress. Look upon me, I beg of you, dear Jesus, and grant me the grace for which I humbly implore you through the Immaculate Heart of your most sorrowful Mother. You have entrusted me to her as her child, and her prayers are all-powerful with you. AMEN.



FEATURED SONG OF THE DAY:


NOVENA TO THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS




No comments:

Post a Comment